Eating disorders are serious medical and psychiatric illnesses in which people suffer severe disturbances in eating behaviors, thinking and emotions. There are three main types of eating disorders: anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge-eating disorder.
- Affect 5-10 million people, mostly women, at any given time
- Most often affects women ages 12-35
- Obsession with food and body weight
- Perfectionism as a way to compensate for low self-esteem
- Sense of feeling fat
- Seeing oneself as overweight
- Most often eating disorders occur together with other disorders like anxiety, panic, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and alcohol or drug abuse